I had the pleasure to supervise (theses/internships/works of) many students at all levels (BSc/MSc/PhD/Post-doc). I have also hosted and supervised several internships.
(I hope I have not forgotten anyone! Please drop me an e-mail if I did…)
PhDs (doctoral students)
- Safa Zouari on Formal Methods for Security and Concurrency, part of S2G group at NTNU-IIK (started April 2022); [main supervisor]
- Alexis Rondeau on DevSecOps tool-chains, Erasmus student from ENSEA — École Nationale Supérieure de l’Électronique et de ses Applications, France (during May-July 2022);
MSc (Master students)
- Anders Wormdal Moen on Security Requirement Management for DevSecOps;
- Marius Lindvall on Working with Hardware Enclaves in the Clouds;
Students that did their Doctoral theses with me as their supervisor.
- Hamed Arshad (finished December 2022) with a thesis “Toward Semantic Attribute-Based Access Control: Fine-grained protection of data in e-Health”; a classical PhD, employed by the Institute of Informatics (IFI) of UiO, part of the IoTSec and SCOTT projects.
[I was main supervisor; with Olaf Owe as co-supervisor]
- Manish Shrestha (finished May 2021) on “LightSC: A light-weight security classification methodology to design and evaluate security of IoT systems”, an Industry PhD part of the MeasurEGrid project, with main employer the company eSmart Systems AS, and the ITS institute of UiO as degree conferring institution.
[I was main supervisor; with Josef Noll as co-supervisor]
- Siri Bromander (finished March 2021) on “Understanding Cyber Threat Intelligence, Towards Automation”, an Industry PhD part of the TOCSA project, with main employer the company Mnemonic AS, and the IFI institute of UiO as degree conferring institution.
[I was co-supervisor]
- Elahe Fazeldehkordi (finished March 2021) on “Security and Privacy Solutions in IoT and Distributed Systems Design”; a classical PhD, employed by the ITS institute of UiO, part of the IoTSec project.
[I was co-supervisor; with Olaf Owe as main supervisor]
- Bjørnar Steinnes Luteberget (finished October 2019) on “Automated Reasoning in Railway Construction Planning”, an Industry PhD part of the RailCons project, with main employer the company RailComplete AS, and the IFI institute of UiO as degree conferring institution. (now Researcher at SINTEF)
[I was main supervisor; with Martin Steffen as co-supervisor]
- Håkon Normann (finished December 2017) (at IT University of Copenhagen under Thomas Hildebrandt) on “Independence, name-passing and constraints in models for concurrency”, part of the CompArt project; (now doing Post-doc at KU–Copenhagen University)
[I was external co-supervisor; with Thomas Hildebrandt as the main local supervisor]
Students that did their Master theses with me as their supervisor.
- Matteo Tabarelli on Electronic Currencies for Local Markets, Erasmus student from U. Milano, Italy (during August 2021 – February 2022);
- Roberto Poletti on Modern Access Control for eHealth Systems (thesis), Erasmus student from U. Milano, Italy (during August 2021 – February 2022);
- Namrah Azam (finished December 2021) on Attack scenarios on AMI that Compromise Human Behaviour and Cellular Networks, interacting with NVE;
- Anastasia Denisovna Orishchenko (finished June 2021) on Towards Safety Standard Compliance of IoT Software Systems Using Modelling and Verification with DCR Graphs;
- Anders Jakob Sivesind (finished June 2021) on Community Coordinated Artificial Intelligence: Towards a unified framework for the democratisation of AI, interacting with SCOTT project;
- Ugur Bayram (finished July 2020) on Developing an Access Control solution for IoT Gateways applied to Smart Home Care, interacting with SCOTT project, [co-supervisor Hamed Arshad];
- Henrik Klev (finished July 2020) on Verifying EVA: Formal verification of the software for deciding Norwegian governmental elections ;
- Ratan Bahadur Thapa (finished July 2019) on Partially Ordered Sets with Interfaces: A Novel Algebraic Approach for Concurrrency; [went on as PhD student in the LogID group at UiO]
- Christopher Alexander Trotter (finished November 2018) on A Non-Sculpting Theorem in Non-interleaving Models of Concurrency; [co-supervisor Uli Fahrenberg from Ecole Politechnique Paris]
- Kudakwashe Chambwe (finished May 2018) on Model-based Secure Software Engineering using UMLsec applied to Assisted Living and Home Care; [went on to Bouvet AS as IT Consultant]
- Kim Jonatan Wessel Bjørneset (finished December 2017) on Testing Security for Internet of Things A Survey on Vulnerabilities in IP Cameras, part of IoTSec project;
- Manoj Upadhaya (finished December 2017) (interacting with ITU Copenhagen) on Process Modeling Based on Smart Home System Using JBoss;
- Subhash Neupane (finished November 2017) on BPMN process modeling using DCR graph (interacting with Tellu AS);
- Kristoffer Severinsen (finished November 2017) on Secure Programming with Intel SGX and Novel Applications; (went on to ABB AS as Consultant on security)
- Aulon Mujaj (finished November 2017) on A Comparison of Secure Messaging Protocols and Implementations; (went on to Knowit AS as Consultant on security)
- Shahzad Ali Khan (finished May 2016) on Synthesis of Railway Design Layout, part of RailCons project; [co-supervisor Bjørnar Luteberget]
- Marius Portaas Haugen (finished November 2016) on OCR-based secure transactions, part of OffPAD project; (went on to Mnemonic AS on security analysis)
- Kaniz Fatema Tuly (finished June 2016) on A Survey on Novel Services in Smart Home, Optimized for Smart Electricity Grid (short thesis with NTNU as diploma conferring institution), part of IoTSec project; [co-supervisors Josef Noll and Trond Aalberg]
- Denis Migdal (from ENS Caen, France, 6 months internship 2016) on Secure authentication classed using secure proxy and hardware phone jacket, part of OffPAD project; (when on to do PhD at ENS Caen, FR)
- Håkon Normann (finished June 2014) on Developing programming languages based on concurrency models; (went on to do PhD at IT University Copenhagen)
Students that did their Bachelor theses with me as their supervisor.
- Marte Jølsett,
- Christian Stene,
- Petter Östergren
(finished as a team in June 2021) on
Monitoring and reporting of Key Performance Indicators in an Emergency telephone system, done in collaboration with HDO as project owner; [Thesis document]
- Alf Pettersen,
- Anders Wormdal Moen,
- Simon Rødsbakken Røe
(finished as a team in June 2021) on Apache Spark på Openshift Kubernetes Distribution, done in collaboration with NTNU SOC as project owner; [Thesis document in Norwegian]
- Sondre Breivik,
- Erik Øhrling Sørli,
- Gaute Klakegg Dvergsdal,
(finished as a team in June 2021) on Centralizing security and operations of Windows clients in an emergency care IT infrastructure, done in collaboration with HDO as project owner; [Thesis document]
Internships (long-term, international, MSc or visiting PhDs) done with me as their supervising host:
- May-July 2022 –Maxime Teboul– (Erasmus student from ENSEA — École Nationale Supérieure de l’Électronique et de ses Applications, France) on Hardware security implementations;
- Spring-Summer 2020 –Pallavi Kaliyar– (visiting PhD student from University of Padova, Italy; supervised there by Mauro Conti);
- July-August 2019 –Rabie Belahcen– (summer intern from Bosch and ITII L’institut des Techniques d’Ingénieurs de l’Industrie des Pays de la Loire) on Smart Home Energy Management Systems, part of the IoTSec project;
- May-July 2019 –Vincent Lagrave– (summer intern from RTE, the Electricity Transmission System Operator of France, and École d’ingénieurs CESI) on Possible consequences of a cyber attack on smart meters;
- June-August 2018 –Benjamin Bedouet– (summer intern from RTE, the Electricity Transmission System Operator of France) on How privacy aspects of AMI impact different Business/Pricing;
- April-September 2016 –Denis Migdal– (summer intern from École nationale supérieure d’ingénieurs de Caen) on A Trusted Device Proxy Architecture;
- May-August 2015 –Slimane Kejji– (summer intern from École nationale supérieure d’ingénieurs de Caen) on Prototyping authentication using OffPAD;
- May-August 2015 –Denis Migdal– (summer intern part of OffPAD project) on Demo of Offline Personal Authenticating Device;